This is one of those recipes I’m guilty of making too much. Well, in general, I make all types of pasta too much. I can’t help myself, because really- who doesn’t love it!? And, I know if I make pasta, my kids will eat a TON. It’s a win-win! Out of all the pasta’s I make, this easy cheesy baked penne is one of my favorites. I even use the exact sauce recipe to make spaghetti! So, don’t get too caught up on the amount of ingredients- this is an easy, budget and leftover friendly meal. Your belly and family will thank you! Here is my easy cheesy baked penne!
Easy Cheesy Baked Penne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion medium; chopped
- 3-4 clove garlic minced
- 1 tomato sauce (15 oz can)
- 1 tomato paste (6 oz can)
- 1 diced tomatoes (28 oz can)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 cup water (For sauce)
- 1 box penne pasta
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- Over medium heat, place olive oil in large sauce pan, and start to brown ground beef
- Add onion. Stir until onions are translucent and ground beef is browned
- Add garlic, tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and water. Stir until ingredients are mixed.
- Add spices (garlic salt, oregano, pepper, red pepper flakes, parsley, basil, sugar, and fennel seeds). Stir until fragrant. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 hour.
- In a stock pot, add water and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add penne pasta to stock pot. Cook until 1 minute less than directions for "al dente". Drain pasta.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove sauce from heat. Place cooked pasta in sauce, mix, then pour the pasta and sauce mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Spread mixture evenly in the baking dish. Sprinkle both cheeses (mozzarella and parmesan) over the top of the mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted.